Today the addiction to social networks is very big and our time can end up flying, thinking about that we created this article teaching how to put a time limit on YouTube regardless of whether it's Android, Windows, iOS or macOS, and maybe the tips in this article will be useful for other applications .
Even with a time limit, some still manage to get around it somehow, so be aware that if you are definitely determined to take control, it will require initiative on your part.
There are two ways to set a Time Limit on YouTube:
- Use parental control software to restrict access to YouTube for a specific period.
- Use screen time management features on devices to limit YouTube usage time.
Unfortunately we don't have any native settings so far to set screen time on YouTube, what you can do is limit the app from kids or use Restricted Mode to limit the content seen on YouTube.
Using native forms of your operating system
Operating systems like iOS already natively have something called “Screen Time” that allows you to set time limits for your apps by category, which also adds to the time limit on the YouTube website.
Some custom android operating systems also provide this function natively. If it doesn't offer it, you can resort to other official or third-party applications, Google itself has some applications, although their quality is quite dubious.
If you're on a computer, it may seem even more difficult, but many content filters and parental controls easily allow you to set a time limit. On macOS you have access to “screen time”, it is very likely that on Windows the Edge browser offers Microsoft’s control service.
Extensions can be installed in any browser, but they are easily circumvented. Even some routers allow you to set a time to access certain domains, or time limit.
The important thing is to know that there are several options to set a time limit for YouTube, and in this article we will explore some of them.
Parental Controls Software
Qustodio: This is an all-in-one parental control software that allows you to monitor and limit time spent on websites including YouTube. You can set blocking times, create rules for specific websites and receive detailed reports on internet usage.
net nanny: This software allows you to set time limits for using YouTube as well as other websites and apps. Also, you can create profiles for different family members, each with different time settings.
Keep in mind that these software are not a foolproof solution to limit the time spent on YouTube, but they can help provide more control and time management for your family.
Setting Time Limit for Youtube in Apple Screen Time
Setting a time limit for YouTube in Apple's Screen Time is simple. This tutorial works for both iOS and macOS, both iPhone and iPad and others. Follow the following steps:
- Go to Settings > Screen Time
- Tap “Turn on Screen Time” if it isn’t already on
- Tap “Add Limit” in the Category Limits section
- Select “Entertainment” as the category and tap “Add Limit”
- Set the desired time limit and tap “Add”
- You can select only YouTube or all apps in the category
- Tap “Continue” and “Finish” to save your settings
Now Screen Time will monitor the time you spend watching videos on YouTube and will show you a notification when the time limit has been reached.
You can block access to YouTube after the time expires in “Screen Time” by selecting the option to block after exceeding the time limit.
Setting Time Limit for YouTube using Windows Family Safety
There is no native option in Windows to set a time limit on YouTube usage. However, you can use Windows Family Safety to limit your time spent on websites including YouTube. Here is a tutorial for setting a time limit in Windows Family Safety:
- Click Start and open Control Panel
- Click on “Family and Others”
- Click on “Manage Family Settings for All Family Members”
- Select the family member you want to set a time limit for and click on “Manage Screen Time”
- Click on “Set Time Limit”
- Select the maximum time you want to use YouTube and click “OK”
- Click on “Save Changes”
Windows Family Safety will now monitor time spent on YouTube and prevent access to the site after the time limit has been reached.
You can set a time limit for using YouTube on Android using Google Family Link. Here is a tutorial to do it:
- Download and install the Google Family Link app on your device
- Set up your child's Google account
- Tap “Screen Time Limits” on the app home screen
- Select the device you want to set a time limit for
- Tap “Apps & Games” and select YouTube
- Tap “Set limit” and select the desired maximum time
- Tap “Finish” to save the settings
Google Family Link will now monitor time spent on YouTube and prevent access to the site after the time limit has been reached.
This is not the best solution for android, there are hundreds of applications that perform this function, some are easier to configure, others are paid, but it is worth exploring.