Learn about SEO best practices and how to apply them in your optimization strategy
In this article, we have separated some of the best SEO practices so that you can better understand how search engines work and learn how to use them to your advantage.
Content aligned with search intent
Search intent means knowing the user's intent when they perform a Google search. It is the purpose that this user intends to achieve when proceeding with an internet search.
Essentially, search intents are divided into four types:
- informational — the user wants to search for specific information and in-depth content on a subject;
- navigational — the user intends to browse a specific website or application;
- Commercial — the user is looking for options for a category of products he can purchase;
- Transactional — the user has already made the purchase decision and knows exactly the product he wants.
When your company outlines the SEO practices that will be applied, it needs to know what your persona’s search intentions are, in order to develop content that aligns with those intentions.
Page titles and meta descriptions are relevant aspects of an SEO strategy, so they need to be structured intelligently.
Title tags are the titles that will appear on search results pages, so when writing them you need to:
- limit the size of the title tag between 50 and 6 characters;
- include the keyword in the title;
- write a title that aligns with the user's search intent;
- be descriptive, objective and concise.
After title tags, meta descriptions are another point of attention. They are a summary of the page's content and appear right after the title. Although they do not influence the search, they can make all the difference between catching the user's attention or not. When writing them, you should take into account:
- text with a maximum of 160 characters;
- include keyword;
- be aligned with search intentions;
- provide an accurate and clear summary of the content.
Optimization is undoubtedly one of the key points in an SEO strategy. Images play an important role in the experience of users who access a website. In addition to choosing good images, you need to consider their optimization, investing in practices such as:
- Choosing a file format that doesn't affect site speed — your site needs to load quickly;
- Compress the images using specific tools for this purpose;
- Insert alternative texts into images using the keyword; and,
- Use the Lazy Load technique, which postpones the display of heavier images and videos.
Attention to page loading speed
Your website can't take long to load. This is a rule that needs to be observed, regardless of the type of site and the content shared.
Loading speed directly impacts user experience, as well as affecting your ranking in search engines.
The URL should be structured using practices such as using short URLs, inserting keywords in the URL, including categories and subdomains (if that makes sense), and removing unnecessary stop words.
Added to that, backlinks are key ranking factors, so you need to be mindful of them. A page with authority backlinks is more likely to rank well in the SERPs.
One of the strategies used to obtain authority backlinks is through the replication of link building strategies used by the competition. To do this, you can use specific tools that analyze competitor backlink profiles, finding link building opportunities that have not yet been explored.
Offer the best user experience
All SEO practices applied must be in line with user expectations and experience. Google pays attention to how users interact with the page, so the better the interaction, the better your ranking will be.
In addition to the tips that we have already presented, to offer the best experience to a user who accesses your website, you can:
- use subtitles throughout the contents, making them more accessible;
- offer compelling visuals—videos, images, and infographics;
- avoid making use of intrusive pop-ups;
- bet on an intuitive design that improves the readability of the content; and,
- invest in responsiveness — compatible website for access via mobile devices.
Useful and quality content
Finally, the golden rule of SEO: relevant and quality content. Prioritize the creation of quality content, using the right keywords, using clear communication, based on consistent data and information.
The content must, first of all, answer the user's question. Text size is not necessarily a rule. On some occasions, shorter content can be more effective.
The tip is that you focus on developing well-founded content that responds to the search intent of your users.
The support of an SEO agency can make all the difference in the implementation of these strategies, so seek guidance from specialized professionals, who follow the market and are aware of the best SEO practices in force.